Tuesday, July 16, 2013

My Philosophy

I suppose one HAS a philosophy whether one realizes it or not.  Setting it out in print makes it seem more formal, and hopefully can offer some disambiguation to one's acquaintances.


My inclination towards friendship involves a person who:


A) Accepts and REJOICES in the differences among people/s


B) Says "Yes", and is willing to try and seek out new experiences


C) Encourages empathy within themselves and others.


For a larger society, I hope and believe in people who:


A) Easily tolerate differences, especially across groups which are strange to them


B) Encourages a variety of approaches based on rational evidence (ie based on experience or emotion or pragmatic reason, rather than blind faith in tradition or stagnation)


C) Disowns the idea of empathy (ie"I can't understand (and won't) why people choose X")


I would rather have people in my circle who are diverse, who say yes and who put themselves in the shoes of a stranger.  I find these aspects will draw out the best in me as well, and the societal pressure will encourage and help me to exist as a more actualized person.


Recently I have noticed a strong visceral reaction in myself to these things, whether it is a friend who says "I cannot imagine why all religious people believe that all atheists are amoral" (and refuses to try to put herself into that line of reasoning to advance to a higher level of argumentation), or someone who professes ignorance loudly about a fact (and will not be moved from her claim to the "fact", despite who it may hurt and despite all evidence that her entire reasoning is faulty (ie a certain people are "going extinct" despite all evidence to the contrary.  Citing the most recent census or trends in numbers provides nothing but a bad interpretation of "damn statistics").  Even TV, Movies, Video Games and mass media are a closed system.  Once you buy into them, you are operating within the judgments of a "mainstream" mindset.  You may reach "higher level" conclusions, but they may be delivered and received as a tagline from a bad joke.  And your philosophy will be delivered to your door like Dominoes.


Diet also seems to be a divisive line.  Food as a moral choice seems to be everywhere.  (Fat shame, carb shame, fest food nation, hyper-local hyper-conscious) Older people, in my experience, who have had limited contact with a variety of foods (fish, vegetables, etc) will assume that pills are needed to help them digest certain varieties or will avoid whole food groups altogether.  


I get indigestion when I hear people proudly proclaiming that they have not tried certain vegetables.  Unless one has a strong suspicion that something is poisonous (like a mushroom) or detrimental to one’s system, everything should be explored, especially at a young age.  
But again, not forced upon people.  I myself have a mild dislike of beer and wine.  Both are tolerable, and if I want alcohol, I’d prefer an Appletini (which will trigger plenty bias alarms out there).  But to categorically state, “I’ve just noticed that people who don’t drink are less fun” is to ignore the work of AA, as well as to deny someone their preferences.
Food biases can be indicative of hesitation in other areas, certainly.  And if one cannot have a meal with another, that is certainly grounds for incompatibility.


Personally, I have found the above issues to trigger visceral reactions within me.  And I am always interested to explore and identify the boundaries of my own biases, as well as define them for others who choose to interact with me.

PS I dislike Philosophy.  (Although I have investigated it in the past and apparently will dive in myself)  When given the choice, I prefer concrete facts (i.e. in exposition).  I beg forgiveness of anyone who believes that I am a hypocrite (which I here admit).  Or if I have offended anyone.  The specifics were for illustrative purposes.  To remind myself of past lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment