Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Swims This Season (so far)

Everytime I look at Walden, especially up close, I want to dive right in.  Summer is my favorite season there.  Followed by Spring, when I anticipate swimming.  Or Fall, when I think back on swimming.  Or even Winter, when I contemplate the ice and wonder how long it will be for the snow and ice to melt before I can swim again.

This week, it was Monday morning (because I had just gotten back from New York).  Across the pond and back.  It's only .5 of a mile, I learned this week.  (I'm bad at numbers, I used to think it was 1.5, which is closer to the circumference around the pond).  Also used to think it was 120 feet (the height of the inside of Grand Central), but it is only 102 feet deep.   Which does make it the deepest in all of Massachusetts.  I still like to imagine the whole of Grand Central submerged beneath me.

I went for a walk later as well, by then it was oddly too cold to go for another swim.  The nights were getting down to 40 degrees.  Throughout July, even the water temperature got up close to 80 degrees in some parts!!  (The shallow parts, I'm sure.  Someone said they had to stop swimming because they were sweating so much . . .?)

Wednesday, I went for a Literary walk, a Park Interpreter led us out at 5:30.  We were meditating on the essay, "Walking", published after his death.  I went for a half swim (1 hour, paddling past Lifeguard Beach and hanging around until the announcements)

Thursday, I stole a full swim in the late evening.  The humidity made the sun and clouds look yellow, bouncing light off the water.  The forecast was for rain, heavy rain, all day.  But it was cleared up by 2, and I was in the water from 6-7:30!!

Friday rained.  Saturday rain is expected.  Sunday and Monday, SUN!!

Lovely when you discover that you exercise is also your compulsion.

No comments:

Post a Comment