Saturday, June 30, 2018

The Thoreau You Don't Know

I found myself talking to a woman who got an Advanced Degree in Environmental Studies.  I mentioned Thoreau and she responded that he was the one author she didn't like.  Something about his style, something about the way he was presented.
I told her what I tell all my friends.  Walden was the first multimedia/multiplatform book.  Henry wanted you to take it to the Pond (or any natural surrounding) and read a page or two, and then PUT IT DOWN and go experience the natural world. GO FOR A WALK!

He wrote all his wisdom down after spending most of his life outdoors, after the experience.  Go out and explore.  And if you are lucky, you'll discover something in Henry's books that answers a question (or leads to a new question) that you will have discovered on your own.  The best books keep you in dialogue.

Stay curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment