Thursday, October 3, 2013

Lost Man

Sunday was a beautiful day.  Perfect for a swim.



The Walden Woods Project posted the above marvelous picture (Monday afternoon, 2:28pm on FB) with the caption:

"The woods were beautiful this morning, full of fog and funnel-weavers' gossamer."

The picture seemed like an oil painting from another time.

Sunday evening, just as the sun was fully setting, a man was reported missing.  That Monday afternoon, the Woods were full of police officers, searching.  Hoping that a man had staggered out of the water, getting lost and hopefully just confused and dehydrated.

I have spent the past summer, and summers before that, wandering through the woods.  I have stayed on the paths mostly. This past summer especially, I joined a group of hikers calling themselves "Saunterers", like Henry.

I know the paths. The trees melting into their fall colors.  Spiders and small bugs.  Things which were unknown to me once.

I know the surface of the pond.  I do not know the bottom.

He was found on Tuesday, just before noon.  75 yards from shore, in water 20 feet deep.

Rest in Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment